Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Going back to Rhody... Rhody... Rhody...

I don't think so.

I'm going back to my alma mater to give a talk. I figure I might as well do what little I can to boost attendance, so pretty please, New England virtualizanti, do what you can to make it.

While I'm waxing nostalgic/faux hip-hop about my misspent college youth, it has been pointed out to me that a shout-out is due to my erstwhile CS 169 TA and all-around bad-boy of the hardware/software interface, Bryan Cantrill. Chapeau, Bryan, Adam, and Mike.

As I've pointed out again and again, to the point of eye-rolling boredom on the part of my colleagues, DTrace really is outrageously cool. The improvement in leverage that DTrace yields feels comparable to the improvement going from debugging with printf to a source-level interactive debugger. Those who haven't tried it yet, run, do not walk, to download recent build of OpenSolaris, install it in a VM, and start working your way through the numerous tutorials. You'll be glad you did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home